Saturday, March 2, 2013

Three J. Crew Blazers

After spending five very sunny days in San Francisco, it was hard coming back to the grey skies of Vancouver. I was indoors and meetings most of the time, but it was nice to take Starbucks breaks and not having to bother with an umbrella. While in SF, I was happy to finally connect with a friend I made online about ten years ago. We had a nice lunch at a place called MarketBar Restaurant in the famous Ferry Building. The trip also included a visit to Alcatraz. Here's a view of the island in the distance:


But nothing to make one think of spring than trying on spring clothing items, right? The week before leaving, I made it to the JC store where I noticed the fresh new colours of spring. The Liberty Quilted Jacket in Chive was one of the first to catch my eye. The shoulders looked a bit narrow, so I went up a size to 6. The jacket is lined, but I forgot to check the lining content. I will try to do that this weekend. The grosgrain ribbon trim also runs as piping on the inside (see second photo). The cut is quite boxy. I liked the jacket quite a bit, although I could have done without the black trim on the shoulders. This is just my preference, though.

 
Liberty Quilted Jacket in Chive (more floral jackets here or here)

Next was the Indigo Floral Quilted Jacket, size 4. It's all cotton, with bracelet sleeves and fits boxy. The front closes with a zipper and fabric-covered snaps. It's a cute spring jacket and I can see myself wearing with the Tuxedo Pencil Skirt.

If a jacket is too much for you, there is an Indigo Floral Popover, if you prefer:

Indigo Floral Popover

Or even jeans, if you like:

 Cropped Matchstick Jeans in Indigo Floral (similar here, here, here)


The third jacket was the Spearmint Tweed Jacket size 6. It has a similar construction to the jacket above, but the fabric is a bit more stiff. The light green trim is grosgrain ribbon. I would wear this with the Pencil Skirt in Stretch Wool in navy.

Spearmint Tweed Jacket (similar here, here)  

Other likes I tried on and reviews to come:


Have you seen any of the new arrivals? Did any of them wink at you? Please share. You can get an additional 20% off your purchase at JC through Sunday, I'm told. It's called a 'secret sale.'

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend, everyone!


27 comments:

  1. I usually don't comment on blogs, but I felt the need to here. Nothing says, "Old Lady" like a quilted, boxy jacket. Nothing wrong with old ladies, but unless I'm 65 or older, I wouldn't be caught dead in those blazers. Sorry, but I think these quilted jackets age you by 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kitty crafter, I think it's all in how you style them. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. A chacun son gout. Thanks so much for the reviews and pictures, looking forward to your thoughts on the much-loved Peony tee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I agree. They may not be everyone's cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reviewing these. I have to agree with Kitty. They all remind me of my grandmother. More like the bedspread in her guest room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue Booby! That made me laugh! Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  4. I think the green tweed is lovely! The others are not quite my taste, but the blue floral is beautiful!
    Thanks for your reviews, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty IRL, but the colour doesn't suit me. You are very welcome, ruth!

      Delete
  5. Yay! Thank you for reviewing the indigo floral blazer, I have been curious about it :) I am leaning towards getting jeans and popover in this print though. Maybe the blazer if it hits mega sale :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popover will be quite nice, and so would the jeans.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I actually like these blazers. They're pretty adorable and could be styled in numerous ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The liberty quilted jacket is on my wishlist but I'm a little less enthused about it after seeing the IRL pics - looks a bit more quilt-like and less long-and-lean like the catalog pics. Ah well, least this means I should feel less bad about holding out until at sale at least! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is definitely not a long and lean jacket, if that's what you expected. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Love the quilted jackets and no, I am not an old lady. Already ordered one. I am thinking about the mint jacket too but will just be happy with my quilted one for now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got the quilted one and it was made defectively:(

      Delete
    2. Sorry to read this, Genny!

      Delete
    3. I reordered and the new one was fine. So glad I got it now! Thanks for your post.

      Delete
    4. Great to read this! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Hi Rose,
    Your pictures were really useful, thanks!
    I've just ordered the liberty jacket in a size 6 but I just hope it's not too big. I'm a UK 8-10 but the 6 looked a good fit on you and I think we're similar size. Do you find it is true to size rather than for example, Gap, that I find always comes up big?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Asa! I think you will be ok as far as the size goes. In this one I had to size up. This season I have been fitting either into a 4 or a 6. If I see the shoulders are a bit more narrow, like I've seen on some jackets this season, I reach for size 6 automatically.

      Delete
  10. Hi again Rose.
    My jacket arrived today and fits perfectly, you were so right!
    But I've noticed weird green dots behind each eyelet on the fasteners. It looks like someone has dotted them with a highlighter pen. I asked them about this and they came back with that it's part of the fabric design and they're leaves? However this colour is nowhere else on the jacket. Does yours have these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get the jacket, Asa, but will check it out next time I walk into our store. Hopefully they will still have some left.

      Delete
    2. Asa, I was in the store yesterday and looked at a couple of jackets, but I never noticed the green dots you are talking about.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Rose, I wrote a grumpy email back and they then agreed that it wasn't part of the design after all, exchanged it and gave me a rather generous discount on the new one. My new one has arrived but the stitching on the shoulder is awful and I can see half a green dot! They are really poorly made so I'm pretty disappointed but the customer service team were great and at least I didn't pay full price. Can you remember if the pockets were fake pockets or not? I just don't trust the quality now and am questioning everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an ordeal, but glad they were good about your complaint. I am guessing they used the green marker for measurement purposes. Have you tried removing that dot with something like a bleach for coloured items? I have also used oxyclean in the past for stain removal, but before you do it, test a part that is not visible to make sure the colour doesn't fade. I would wet the spot and poor a very tiny amount of it, just until it starts bubbling on that spot.

      I do not recall if they were real or fake pockets, but you can easily see if they are real on the inside. If they are real, the pocket should show there.

      Delete
  12. Thanks. I always enjoy reading your posts - they are always humorous and intelligent.I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: Beijing tours | Lhasa Tours | Lhasa travel packages

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.