Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Two Jackets

The other day I received the e-mail about the Barbour® Liberty-lined Beadnell Jacket from J. Crew. I haven't had the chance to try this jacket on, but I can see why it would appeal to many. It is made of "storm-defying thorproof waxed cotton" with a lining of printed cotton from Liberty Art Fabrics.

Barbour® Liberty-lined Beadnell Jacket

If the price of the Barbour jacket is too much for your wallet, the Navy Cotton Belted Jacket from Banana Republic might just do instead:


The jacket is 96/4 cotton/spandex, with a cotton lining and a corduroy collar. I tried on size S and fitted me well. I have a tee and a sweater underneath, so the regular size allows for some layering.


An even cheaper alternative is the Gap Belted Twill Waxed Jacket. It is sold out on the US site, but you can see it on the Canadian one here. The store I visited had plenty in stock. The price is $88US or $89.50 CAD. I tried on the Small again, and fitted well. The jacket itself is 100% cotton with a coating of polyacrylates. I really liked this jacket. It's not as fancy as the BR one, but it would work for me.

Belted Twill Waxed Jacket

More waxed jackets from other retailers:

Boden's Heritage Waxed Jacket, which comes in 2 colours and sizes 2 - 18:


Heritage Waxed Jacket

Superdry Safari Mac Wax Jacket from Neiman Marcus' Last Call:

Superdry Safari Mac Wax Jacket

Do you have a waxed jacket? Will you consider one this year? Please share.

14 comments:

  1. I've got an ancient one but for me, they are for doing work on the farm or garden or for walking out in the muddy countryside, I don't know why anyone would want to wear one into town with their good clothes which has become the fashion recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because we don't have much countryside around here, I'm afraid. We have to wear them somewhere... :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Rose! I could actually use a waxed jacket for doing exactly what Tabitha mentions above! I really like all of these and I am also going to doublecheck what LL Bean has in stock these days! Thanks - and I would wear the BR especially all over town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BR is pretty enough to take on the town. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the BR one on you and love the idea of the Liberty lining in the expensive J. Crew one, but like Tabitha and WMM, I wear all my waxed/down/quilted jackets for inclement weather and/or outdoor physical activity. I feel so good and warm and protected in them, having them look good on is definitely secondary. LOL.

    I can vouch for the quality of the Boden one from reviews of jackets and coats that have been sent to me over the years by adoring Boden fans. And since I know that the British know about awful weather, you can bet that waxed coat will keep the elements at bay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It seems no wind passes through these things! I love mine too.

      Thanks for sharing about the Boden jacket quality.

      Delete
  4. I love my Barbour jackets and they last FOREVER. It is worth the expense if you can use one. I wear mine with sweaters and jeans topped with an Hermes scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read they are holding up so well. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. The idea is nice and I've tried it twice but I cannot stand the stiff, heavy feel of waxed cotton. It looks like there are plenty of options available for those who want one this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BR or the Gap ones were not stiff at all. If you get the chance, try them out, although you will have a very short season to wear them in Calgary.

      Delete
  6. I love mine from Eddie Bauer, as you know. It's held up well over the last couple of years. I wouldn't fancy it up though, it's strictly for going to job sites/running errands/shopping trips ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost time for it again, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  7. I have one from BR from two years ago and it was probably the BEST purchase of the year for me. It served me well on a trip to Britain and all around my climate (northern california)! It is lightweight enough for moving easily and for packing it, but definitely cuts out wind and is rainproof enough! I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! They are so practical, aren't they? I love mine too. I have one form J. Crew from 2 years ago.

      Delete

Spam will be deleted.