Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Two J. Crew Dresses

CC and I dropped in on the new Vancouver store this past weekend. Like she already blogged about in this post, the store seems quite crammed. In comparison to their American counterparts, I'd say this one is about 2/3 the size of those I have seen, maybe even smaller. Robson Street is possibly the most expensive commercial retail space in the city, so I am not surprised they couldn't afford or found something bigger there. Maybe they will open the second store at Oakridge or in West Vancouver.


I have seen most of the items before, with a few exceptions. The Lucille Dress in Scalloped Eyelet is new. I am wearing size 4, and it's is tight on my torso. I have broader shoulders than most, so a lot of the times I have to size up in dresses. I think it looks nicer with the belt, in my opinion.It's a pretty eyelet fabric, lined with 100% cotton, and I think it's a lovely summer dress. Unfortunately for me, sizing up to a 6 will not work, since the skirt part is already big enough as it is.


Cashmere Long Cardigan size XS and 'neon flamingo' is one size smaller than my usual J. Crew cardigan size. I would wear size S for a less fitted look. You can see the sleeves are quite long for size XS. I haven't bought a cashmere sweater from JC for a couple of years now, so no idea how this would stand up to wear. The colour is quite bright, and very close to the 'neon pink' of the Garment-Dyed Drawstring Shirtdress. Overall, I liked this sweater, minus the buttons, but that detail can be easily rectified.

Cashmere Long Cardigan (similar here, here, here)

And since we are talking pinks, here's the Garment-Dyed Drawstring Shirtdress in neon pink. As I posted here before, the colour is much brighter than it shows on the website.

Garment-Dyed Drawstring Shirtdress (similar here, here, here)

There is a considerable size hem, so the dress could be lengthened, if needed.


And here's the OOTD I wore this weekend. Friday to Sunday I practically live in jeans, and occasionally I wear a denim skirt on casual Fridays. The Boatneck Popover is size XS. You have seen this sweater here before in size XXS. The denim pants are new and very comfortable. They have two flap back pockets.

Tommy Hilfiger Cropped Denim Pants (similar here, here)
Keds Shoes (similar here)

I have 2 new dress reviews coming up in a future post.

J. Crew is doing it again...  a secret MUSTSHOP code will get you 30% off sale items until Thursday. Final sale is finally gone (for now, anyway). Anything you just must have from JC? 

Thank you for visiting, and hope everyone is having a great beginning of the week!


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for these dress reviews! I don't know why, but I am sublimely disappointed that JC even came out with that drawstring shirt dress - just doesn't seem their style. This is probably just me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dress is cute for a casual piece. Love the substantial fabric they used for it.

      Delete
  2. Rose I visited as well. I would have like the store to have been on Granville/12th area personally. I think it would do better there IMO
    The store was pretty jammed...I just walked around for awhile looking and found you ahd to look hard and everywhere or you would miss certain items. I will patiently wait for a sale section ....Lets let each other know just when thats going to happen.... Carolyn from Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deal! Yes, South Granville would have also been a good option. Robson Street businesses are hurting. It was on the news last night and in this morning's paper.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like the Vancouver store is pretty small, one thing that surprised me about J Crew Yorkdale was how big it is, bigger than the one I go to when I am in Atlanta.
    I like the boatneck sweater on you!
    Nothing for me from JC, just going to the post office to send back returns actually!
    Thanks for the reviews Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dani! You are lucky to have a big store.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing photos of the store. It looks so neat and tidy with everything lined up perfectly. I tried that striped scarf that is tied onto the purse in the top photo. It was folded so I grabbed it as I was heading into the fitting room. The neon orange I could take but the acid yellow did not work for me. The silk twill seemed to be decent quality for the price and I would love to see them issue some pretty silk twill scarves in the future.

    The shirtdress looks like the navy one they had last year, a woven cotton similar to the shutterbug dress, which I know you have, or at least reviewed. I have the navy from last year or I'd probably pick this one up. It looks soft. Love your cropped denims, I wear that length quite a bit in the summer and often roll them up to "pedal pusher" length, just below the knee. I can't do capris but I can do these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the SAs are very excited about the store and are keeping things tidy.

      The fabric is quite soft on that dress.

      Thanks, xoxo! I will wear them a lot this summer.

      Delete
  5. I love the eyelet dress on you. Great summer piece, can pair it with any number of cardis and jackets, to wear to the office and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dress is beautiful, no doubt, and more versatile than the purple one.

      Delete
  6. I think everything in this post looks great on you. I especially like how you're wearing the boatneck top with the cropped jeans and keds. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to see the eyelet dress. Love the scalloped hem. The hot pink dress is great for whoever can work that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty dress, I agree. Yes, it's a colour for the young, for sure.

      Delete

Spam will be deleted.