Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter!

Did someone say 'BUNNY?'

(Sister's kitty)

Part of the Easter tradition is dyeing eggs. These eggs are really easy to make using interesting looking leaves, dry onion peels and a clean nylon mesh. This year I only had access to dandelion and Italian parsley leaves.

Wet the leaf, apply to the egg surface ensuring it sticks, cover carefully with the mesh (cut up pantyhose from the dollar store will do), and tie with a twist tie. Insert the eggs in cold water containing the dry onion peels. Once the entire saucepan is full of eggs, set to boil. Usually they boil and colour in about 15 minutes. If a deeper colour is desired, leave to boil a while longer. Once the desired colour is achieved, take eggs out, run under cold water and wash off the leaf remnants.


What is part of your Easter tradition? Have a great weekend, everyone!


13 comments:

  1. Awww what a cute kitty! Very pretty Easter eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Easter egg idea! Sweet kitty too :) Happy Easter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's beautiful and quite organic using the onion peel as coloring.

    My easter tradition was making a HUGE mess while painting eggs and my poor mother had to clean it all up. We had tons of fun though!

    Kim
    www.aprettythought.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Much nicer than my $2 colored dye kit :-)

    Every Easter celebration that I host always involves me baking Babka bread. It a Polish bread that is dense and a bit sweet. My grandmother always made it and included it in the Easter basket of food she brought to Church and had blessed. It always reminds me of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this technique!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister's kitty had me at hello!

    I LOVE your way for coloring the eggs (I've been an environmentalist since I was 14)!! I will have to remember drying some onion peel next year. Your Easter eggs are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet Kitty! Happy Easter Rose. Those Easter eggs look beautiful. Mine will be chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heeere kitty kitty! ;)

    Thanks for sharing your Easter Egg basket. Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful! I haven't decorated eggs in years, but it used to be my favorite part of holiday, alongside a wild easter egg hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose I've never seen anything like this before, how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, all, for your kind comments! Hope you had a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Rose, I love these eggs - Hope you had a wonderful Easter! - I never heard about and I will try this way next year! So pretty!
    PS: I also bought the Boatneck sweater, in size small, but the day before the "secret" promo for $19! I saw the reviews after they found the sweater for me, and hopefully it won't be so big :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Thank you, and thanks for stopping by! I hope the sweater fits you well.

      Delete

Spam will be deleted.