Friday, August 12, 2011

Dessert & An OOTD

My friend is visiting from out of town and I figured it would be the perfect time to go visit the newest patisserie in town together. It opened this week on Alberni Street downtown Vancouver. Alberni St. is parallel to the very famous Robson Street. If you ever visited Vancouver, you most likely have walked this street at some point during your stay.

In charge is Thierry Busset, a famous pastry chef, who has worked in the kitchen of Marco Pierre White, the renowned chef who made even chef Gordon Ramsay cry. Read more about this here.


The establishment also has a liquor license, which means alcoholic and specialty coffees can also be served. After congratulating and making a bit of chit-chat with him, of course I had to take a few photos of some of the goodies in there:

And this is my favourite display:


Ah yes...  the macaroons...  see the rack in the middle, that is already empty? It was the lemon flavour row, and I managed to snatch the last one. I had to take a mixed box (the smallest fits 7 pieces) home. I also picked up a pain au chocolat, which I inhaled promptly. My friend had already had dinner, and since I wasn't sure when mine would be, I had to eat something, right?


And here's what I wore that day. Nothing exciting, but since I managed to take a photo, I figured I should post it anyway. I have been getting quite a bit of wear out of my silk ikat skirt I got last year.

J. Crew Factory Annalise Ruffle Cami (similar here or here)
J. Crew Merino Strata Cardigan (similar here, here or here)
J. Crew Elletra Skirt (similar here or buy on ebay here)
Born BOC Cork Wedges (similar here, here, or here)
J. Crew Exhibitor Tote (similar colour here or a pretty mauve here)

If you happen to visit our city, make sure you check out Thierry (the patisserie, not the man...  I hear he is already taken). The address is 1059 Alberni Street, Vancouver.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Cake and alcohol - it doesn't get better the that in my book.
    That outfit is exciting to me, my general every day wear consists of stretch onesie type outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I still lived there. Everything looks delicious! The new bakery would be at the top of my list of places to hang out in the city. Then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a good thing since I'd need to replace my wardrobe after sampling all those goodies. ;)

    Very pretty outfit Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that place looks amazing! Thanks for mentioning I will definitely look for it next time we visit Vancouver. Your outfit is lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, those desserts look amazing, especially that raspberry-topped cake in the first photo. I love macarons. Next time I visit Vancouver, I'm definitely checking this place out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit was lovely, but I think you were right not to wear anything that would upstage the pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. T: thank you! Then you'd be in the right place to visit. :)

    ABC: I won't tell Thierry you called it bakery. :D I'm sure you would love the flourless chocolate cake!

    sparrowandsparkles: it is very nice and modern. Definitely stop on your next trip North. Thanks very much!

    Louise: I love anything fruity, and his signature desserts are the apple tart and the lemon pie, which is TDF!

    Sue: it would be hard to upstage such edible art, but it was a last minute decision to go there straight from the office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful pastries, I have added this place to the list of where to visit on our next trip to Vancouver. Can't wait.

    The outfit is pretty, a little hint of fall in the color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to work today so couldn't run downtown to try it, and think they're closed tomorrow... waaahhhh. Will have to wait till next Saturday, after my dentist appointment, bwahahahah. Oh, have you tried their juice cocktail? Hand blended by the bar manager at West, sister restaurant to Thierry. If you haven't yet, you have a reason to revisit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. xoxo: the man is a perfectionist. Let's just say I have seen his kitchen. :) Thank you!

    CC: I am quite certain they are open 7 days a week, 11 a.m.- 12 p.m. I have had a bday dinner at West one year (at the time it was called Ouest). Thierry actually started his Vancouver career at Ouest, then he moved to CinCin. Is juice cocktail boozy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check the place out tomorrow for sure. Juice cocktail wasn't boozy. It's a "must try". How'd you get so lucky to check out Thierry's kitchen? It must be fantastic indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Went to Thierry today but it was closed! Waaaaah. But saw that their hours are going to be 7AM to midnight every day! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CC: sorry I misled you. I was certain he said they'd be open 7 days a week. I am guessing they are still looking to hire 2 more people before they plunge into that crazy schedule. He said they need 10 people in total.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol @ Tabitha...cake & alcohol

    You look darling in that outfit. Very chic.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.