Monday, June 13, 2011

The Verona

I had the chance to get this beautiful jacket with a coupon for 20% off and free shipping from a very nice J. Crew aficionada from the JCA blog.

The jacket has an interesting irregular pattern of (almost) navy blue and white, and has two chest pockets and one small interior pocket on the left side. The fabric is 36% cotton, 32% acetate, 25% polyester and 6% linen. I love the subtle sheen of the fabric, which is not too much for day wear.


The lining is a different story. The body of the lining is cotton, while the sleeves are acetate. Why this, I have no idea, other than it has to be a cost-cutting measure. Read this article on the JCA blog about cost-cutting measures by retailers. At least it has a lining. 

The two fabrics do not match perfectly in colour, as you can see below:


And here is the jacket on me:

Tommy Hilfiger Silk Ruffle Cami (similar here or here)
Ann Taylor Loft Pants (similar here or here)
J. Crew Distressed Denim Belt (similar here or here)

The jacket has bracelet sleeves (read 3/4 length), and the fit is quite small -- similar to the Honey Tweed blazer, if you have that. I took a size 4 in this one, just as I did in the Honey Tweed.

Overall, I like this jacket and hope to wear it for a few seasons.

Do you have the Verona jacket? How do you like it?

14 comments:

  1. Cute jacket-it looks great on you. The sleeve lining is probably acetate so your cotton tops or blouses don't get stuck in the arms. If they were cotton lined, one could have too much friction and less ease of movement. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second JulieStyles, this jacket looks great on you and I'm sure the sleeve lining is acetate as Julie said, for ease of putting it on. J.Crew jackets used to often have contrasting colors in the lining, the body was different than the sleeves, but I'm not sure why they would put in a cotton lining other than a cost-cutting measure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JulieStyles: thanks, and thanks for visiting! I agree about the acetate sleeve linings. I still don't like the body made of cotton. It looks rather cheap.

    xoxo: thank you! Yes, I looked at some of my other jackets and they do have contrasting colour lining and they look nice. I am not too keen on this cotton one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered this to try it out close to when it first came out. I think it is such a cute jacket, but it was way too small in my normal jacket size. I often have trouble with jackets as my shoulders are a bit broad for my otherwise fairly small frame. I was afraid sizing up would make it too boxy, but maybe it's worth a try - looks great on you! I also loved the fabric, but agree the cotton lining seemed not quite right for the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ajr: just like you, I am also broad-shouldered and often have the same dilemma, but I took a chance ordering this. It is a cute, timeless piece, in my opinion. I plan to keep it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in the jacket! I was so sad since I got this jacket duirng a 30% off sale which brought it to 69.00, but it was too tight in the shoulders! And I didn't think the cotton lining was comfortable - k ind of rubbed against tees, etc. Wasn't meant to be for me, but great to see that you can wear it!!! EnjoY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bracelet sleeves, being a smout I'm always spending money having sleeves taken up, but I've noticed that in my pics I have long monkey arms, hmm maybe I have a short body then or maybe I'm just Humpty Dumpty's love child?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzy: thank you! Sorry to read it didn't work out for you.

    Tabitha: I like the sleeves too. And you don't have monkey arms! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. That jacket is beautiful on you!!! So many great colors that you can match for any season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. triciathomas: thank you very much! I figured it's quite versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you said you purchased this jacket in a size 4 and this was larger than your normal size - what is your normal size? I'm usually a 0 or 2 and am wondering if a 4 would fit me (it's the smallest size left online). Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michelle! I wear a 0 in the Norwood blazer, a 2 in the drapey wool Mackenzie blazers and a 4 in the Schoolboy blazer, Thandie, Honey Tweed and Tweed Tatum, so I think it will fit you. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the info! I hope you're right :)

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.