Friday, August 20, 2010

Talbots Fitting Room Confessions

Today I was inspired by the black top Ema blogged about, so I hit Talbots on my way home.  I took a quick look around the store and decided to try on a couple of things that stood out for me, like I did here

I first tried on the Lace Sheath dress in the same fabric as the top Ema described on her blog, in a size 4P.  I would have tried a size 2 regular, but this was the smallest size in the store. This dress is made of cotton and it is fully lined. I am 5'6", FYI.

I liked the general shape of the dress, the fabric and the pretty bow detail:
This is a new fall arrival, so it is full price.  

The next thing I tried on reminded me of the J. Crew Tweed Dauphine jacket, as shown here on Dina. This jacket is called Tweed Jacket and you can get it here.
The jacket has ribbon trim and ruffles. It is fully lined and it's a mix of acrylic/wool/polyester/nylon. I have to mention that I can't stand acrylic, usually, but this jacket felt nice. Most likely the wool content had something to do with it. And for a casual wear jacket, I think I would like this with jeans. The size was 4P, also the only one in the store - no size 2 regular available. There is also a matching skirt but I felt it would be too much tweed so I didn't try it on.

Here is a close-up of it:

The blouse I am wearing underneath is a silk short-sleeved one and is similar to this but in a solid colour.  You can find a similar style here in white colour.

And here is styled with a necklace I grabbed off the shelf. The necklace is called Bead Twist necklace in 'berry multi' colour. Similar style on sale here. The jeans I am wearing are Gap 1969 with back panel pockets in size 26/2 from last year. Similar style here.

18 comments:

  1. That lace dress looks lovely on you. How did it fit?

    Ahah! Great minds think alike! I was just browsing Talbot's site and thought, that tweed jacket looks like a try on for me. The B&M closed down in the mall near me, so I'll have to hike across town, or wait for my trip home next weekend. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,CC! I was surprised the waist on the 4P was not too high. The skirt part was still a bit loose, as it is the case with all the dresses for me.

    I suggest you hike across town tomorrow. :) It seems to be a popular jacket for them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you look gorgeous in the dress! That pic has given me a lovely dollop of glamour with my breakfast this morning.
    5ft 6 - mutter, mutter, gurn, jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, T.! You are kind... and funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a sickness for all things lace so seeing this dress has given me a full-on case of the flu. LOL. :)

    Thanks for the link love. I look forward to wearing my Dauphine again. Probably not until December...but that's okay, I can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Dina! I didn't mean to make you ill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the pics Rose! I love the dress and the blazer is really pretty. I thought the same thing, that it was very similar to the Dauphine (which I picked up on sale, so don't need this one).

    I'm hoping to hit Talbots this afternoon and will post pics tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers, shopwithm! Can't wait to see what you liked there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lace dress is very pretty!! I have been eyeing up that tweed jacket online so thanks for doing the review....hoping to find time to get to talbots in the next week or two to try it for myself. I think it would be great with jeans, black trousers, and black pencil skirts for work this fall:) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your picks Rose. They're both very elegant and classic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Jordyn! All those combinations would work nicely.

    Thanks, ABC! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lace dress is gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the lace detail on the first dress so beautiful and chic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That tweed jacket is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for trying on those gorgeous pieces from Talbots. I may have to have to venture into their stores again. I always thought their stuff was kind of "dowdy" but they've really impressed me with their fall collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, make no mistake... some pieces are still dowdy looking, but you may find some things that you like.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.