Friday, August 13, 2010

My Love Affair

My love affair with coffee started a long time ago -- much longer than I would care to admit. Late nights, while cramming for upcoming exams, I would have countless cups of coffee, in the hope that one more piece of information would find its way into my brain and hopefully remain fixated there, at least until exam time. While I was not very fussy about coffee back then, I have become quite picky about my coffee lately.

A few years ago, while on a trip to Costa Rica, I discovered a gem among the Cafe Britt coffees. I should mention here that almost every supermarket I have been in in Costa Rica has a small corner of the store dedicated to this brand: coffee, chocolate, nuts, T-shirts, etc.

Cafe Britt has an extensive website, and ordering can be done online.  I have been doing it for over 5 years now, and have been very satisfied both with the quality of the coffee as well as with the speed with which it is shipped.  Often times I would order on a Thursday at lunch and the box would be waiting on my doorstep on Monday upon my return from work.  All orders for North America are shipped from a warehouse in Miami, FL.
My very favourite flavour is the Organic Shade Grown :

















I also tried some other goodies from there:
 













And for the serious addict:













They also have coffee caramel candy to die for, but I couldn't find a picture of those to show.

What's your 'cannot do without' drink?

13 comments:

  1. I'm all about the Nespresso coffee machines and "pods" you have to order. I make two cups of expresso every morning with foamed milk and it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by. I had another post coming up about Nespresso too. You must have read my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rose for the free shipping code for J Crew. I was able to purchase a couple of pop backs that I have been waiting for! Found you through the JCA blog but I did see you on A Bigger Closet last month one of my favorite blogs. I will be adding yours to my morning reading too! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, lisabfashion! Thanks for stopping by! ABC is my friend IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't live without coffee either. And not the cruddy drip kind. I have an espresso machine (lucky) and a boyfriend who is great at making cappuccinos (luckier). I have to start the day with something espresso-based or I just can't function.

    If you like Guatemalan beans, you might also like Nicaraguan coffee from the Matagalpa region. I used to live in Nicaragua and quickly discovered it's wonderful brew. It is quite rich and flavourful and low on acid, and much of it is exported free trade and/or organic. It's my favourite (if I have to drink drip coffee...try Multatuli's roast).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here, Karenina... I need espresso strength. Thank you for the tips. The reason I like the CR organic is because it has a really smooth taste, even coming out of the espresso machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coffee, my Starbucks mocha is my daily treat, I have a cafetiere but I want to get a proper coffee machine, I'm just starting to research them now, if anyone has any ideas let me know - but not the pod one, I like to buy my own coffee and grind it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabitha, in my previous company we had a top of the line Saeco and in 2 years it required 2 costly repairs. Parts inside were made of plastic, and therefore not very resistant. At home I have had a cheap Breville for about a year or so, and it seems to work OK. It doesn't grind the beans, though, like the Saeco did.

    I, too, prefer to grind the beans myself. I manage to keep them more fresh than a machine that grinds the beans would. Coffee is quite hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere), and keeping the beans in a tightly closed bag seems to help with the freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't drink coffee but LOVE the smell!!! I had no idea there is so much too it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tricia, may I suggest some coffee caramels for you then? Delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're an enabler! There's a Flavia machine at work and I have to have 2 before lunch or I just can't function. On the weekend I go ghetto and go with whatever I've picked up from Costco. Hi, my name is Closet Crisis and I'm an addict...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tell me about it, CC... it's a double every morning for me too. And here I thought CC stood for Crazy Cardigan lady. Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same espresso machine (top one); it is an awesome little thing for the price.

    Thanks for the Talbots post. I've never been in (seemed a little old-ladyish to me) but I may have to check it out next time I'm in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.