Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Addicted to Love

I already said coffee was one of my loves. I like my coffee beans, my grinder, and my espresso maker.




It is inexpensive and there's nothing fancy about it, but it does the job. I don't even bother bother using the steam from the lateral nozzle to steam the milk.  I use a milk frother instead:




I find that skim milk makes the best foam in the frother.This type of foam lasts longer than the one made using the steam from the espresso machine because there is no steam to condense back to water and weigh the foam down.

But if you have a whole lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, then you must spring for this baby by Saeco:
 


It grinds the coffee and makes you a cup of whatever you feel like having, but it doesn't clean itself and it doesn't bake the biscotti to be enjoyed with your coffee. 

Last winter while visiting family, I ended up in France for a few days. Everywhere I was turning, there was yet another poster of George Clooney, the face of Nespresso, plastered in the window of a Nespresso boutique.  I entered one of those just as a curiosity, and found it buzzing with customers. These specialized shops sell capsules containing coffee to be used in the Nespresso machine. The various colours of the capsules depict the various flavours available:


They look like foil-covered chocolates. They can be bought from the specialized boutiques, via mail or online directly form the company website.

And this is what a Nespresso machine looks like:


Speaking of biscotti...  I have been baking these for a while now with great success:

Vanilla Almond Cranberry Biscotti

1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unblanched almonds, chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) grated orange rind
1 egg white, lightly beaten

In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, almonds and cranberries.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and grated orange rind; stir into flour mixture until soft sticky dough forms. Transfer to lightly floured surface; form into smooth ball.
Divide dough in half, roll each into 12-inch long log. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet.
Brush tops with egg white; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 25-30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool on pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer each log to cutting board; cut diagonally into 3/4-inch thick slices.
Stand cookies upright on baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes longer, then lower the temperature to 250°F (120°C) and bake for another 15 minutes or so. At this point I turn off the oven and let the biscotti dry further in the oven. Biscotti can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Enjoy!

Do you own an espresso or a Nespresso machine? How do you serve your favourite coffee drink?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I use a cafetiere - oh how I wish it could self clean, my sink's always filthy. But I'm on the hunt for a proper machine ((frothy/grindy) because I spend too much at Starbucks.

    YUm, I'll give the biscotti a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscotti and am totally going to try your recipie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabitha, that's what dishwashers are for! I know too well about spending too much at Starbucks! I won stock in that company!!!

    Tricia, you will love them. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a keurig girl, can't live without that machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Sue! Ah yes, the Keurig... a couple of our offices that I visited have one of those. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted.